Location Marriage Commissioners Booking Form Ceremonies and Other Readings
Planner Check List Answers To Your Questions

Getting Married in Ontario

Home Button                    Welcome

Where can I find Government regulations and information?
Helpful information from the Ontario government.

What are the fees?
Licence: Purchase at Ontario Municipal Office of your choice.
Ceremony: $350 (Includes planning sessions)

Travel and Rehearsal fees if applicable may apply and are paid directly to your chosen commissioner.
Fees are payable to the Huron-Kinloss Township
Office prior to the wedding date.
Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm
Tel: (519) 395-3735 Fax: (519) 395-4107
E-mail: hurontwp@hurontel.on.ca

Where can I have the ceremony performed?
Any suitable location of your choice. Together we will design a ceremony that is unique for you. Should you have any special requests for your ceremony, feel free to discuss them with us.

What do I need to do first?
Prior to being married, couples must obtain an Ontario Marriage License from a Registry Office in the Province of Ontario. It is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

Do both parties need to be present to buy the license?
To obtain the license only one party must attend in person to purchase the license, BUT that person must have the application completed and signed by both parties, and the required identification and other documents for both parties.
Each party needs two pieces of original identification; One piece of ID must be one of the following (plus any change of name certificate):

- Birth Certificate

- Current passport

- Record of Immigrant Landing

- Canadian Citizenship papers

- Adoption papers

The second piece of ID must be a photo identification. ALSO, if a widow / widower, bring proof of death of previous spouse(s).

The marriage license is turned over to the person conducting the marriage ceremony and is not returned. A Marriage Statement (certificate) is provided at completion of the wedding ceremony but this is not a registered document. To obtain the official registered Certificate of Marriage it is necessary to apply to the Ontario Vital Statistics Registry. The appropriate form can also be obtained at any registry office.

Two mature witnesses are required for the ceremony. It is not necessary that the witnesses have prior knowledge of the couple being married. Both the bride and groom must be at least 18 years of age, or possess the necessary written consent.

wedding flowers